This is an area of physiotherapy that focuses on prevention and rehabilitation of heart disease and other injuries related to the heart and lungs. Example of other related issues are, shortness of breath, persistent cough and the reduced ability to exercise.
Common cardiorespiratory conditions include:
- Heart Attack
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Heart or lung injury or surgery
- Congestive Cardiac Failure (CCF)
- Respiratory Infections, i.e. Pneumonia
- Peripheral Vascular Disease
Appropriate exercises will help restore cardiovascular health
Your physiotherapist will run a thorough test of your cardiorespiratory system, endurance and mobility. The therapist will thendevelop a treatment program to fit your needs.
These treatments include:
- Breathing and Circulation Exercises: To prevent vascular and respiratory deficiencies such as deep venous thrombosis (DVTs) and chest infection
- Coughing and Breathing Strategies: To manage your shortness of breath and help you cough properly
- Deep Breathing Exercise: To reassure increased lung volumes
- Hands-on Techniques and Breathing Facilitation Exercises: To increase your lung volume
- Percussions and Vibrations: Helps you cough with ease and have relaxed discharges
- Mobility Assistance: Totransfer one securely in and out of bed, sit up, stand and walk
- Mobility Aids: Use of a walking frame, or other walking aids as required
Following your discharge from the hospital, please visit one of our PhysioExperts Rehabilitation clinics where a Physiotherapist will continue to support your cardio rehabilitation. Theses treatments can include:
- Breathing Control Exercises:Enhancesdaily functioning
- Thoracic Assessment and Mobilisations: Increases lung volume
For more information about Cardiorespiratory Physiotherapy Call us now or Book Online at PhysioExperts!