Physical activity has been proven to be beneficial for people of all ages. However, as you age, sometimes you need more than just physical activity to keep yourself out of harm’s way, this is where geriatric physiotherapy can be useful.
The advantages of exercise for older adults include:
- Less prone to diabetes, stroke, heart disease, and certain types of cancers
- Protection against osteoporotic fractures and post-menopausal osteoporosis
- A decrease in unplanned falls
- A decline in loneliness, isolation, and depression
- Less likely to develop complications associated with motionlessness
- Balance and proprioception (Awareness of one’s own body)
- Coordination and motor control (improved control over daily activities)
- Stamina (carry out activities for a longer period without much exhaustion)
Physical activity reduces the risk of falls, which is one of the major causes of disability amongst the elderly. Exercise increases mental health and reasoning in older adults and helps them cope with depression and anxiety. Empirical evidence shows that physical activity among the elderly significantly increases sociability. This is a huge benefit because loneliness is one of the leading causes of depression among the elderly.
Type of exercise recommended for older adults:
- Aerobics activity
- Exercises that improve flexibility
- Balance and proprioception exercises (crucial for fall prevention)
For more information about Geriatric Physiotherapy Call us now or Book Online only at PhysioExperts!