- Doctor PARVEEN KUMAR REG. PT.
- Category Treatment
- Location 462 Hazeldean Road, Unit 3, Kanata, Ontario K2L 1V3
Taping is commonly used by physiotherapists for the following reasons:
- Reduce injury recurrence
- Prevent injury
- Enhance athlete confidence
- Relieve pain
- Improve joint stability
Different kinds of tapes are used for different types of pain:
- Stiff strapping tape is commonly used in taping and strapping. This type of tape is also referred to “sports tape” or “athletic tape”
- Elastic strapping tape is used when less support is required
- Kinesiology tape is an improved version of elastic sports tape which is designed to improve musclefunction
Purposes of Taping
The tape may be used to:
- Facilitate normal movement, muscle action or postural patterns
- Stabilize or support an injury
- Relieve pain by de-loading vulnerable or painful structures
Kinds of Taping
Kinesiology taping (KT) has become increasingly popular especially among athletes. Taping has been used for a long time to prevent and treat sport related injuries. KT is also used for a variety of other injuries as well.Japanese Chiropractor Dr. Kenzo Kase created KT in the 1970’s with the goal to heal his own soft tissues faster and alleviate pain. There are many benefits to KT, including:
- Proprioceptive facilitation
- Reduced muscle fatigue
- Muscle facilitation
- Reduced delayed-onset muscle soreness
- Pain inhibition
Mobilization with Movement (MWM) was developed by Brian Mulligan FNZSP (Hon) of New Zealand. This manual therapy approach helps patients lead an active pain free life. During the development of MWM, Mulligan discovered that applying taping techniques with MWM leads to significant increase in treatment outcomes especially when working with soft tissue.
McConnell taping is often used to treat patients with anterior knee pain, more specifically it is used to treat patients with Chondromalacia Patellae Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome also known as, “runners’ knee”. The application of the tape helps keep the patella in line to avoid any further complications.
For more information about Taping Call us now or Book Online at PhysioExperts!