- Doctor PARVEEN KUMAR REG. PT.
- Category Treatment
- Location 462 Hazeldean Road, Unit 3, Kanata, Ontario K2L 1V3
ACL reconstruction is a reconstructive surgery where the surgeon replaces a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL). This is the main ligament in your knee. Damage to the ACL most commonly occurs in sports where there are a lot of sudden unexpected stops or movements like soccer, gymnastics, basketball, volleyball, football, tennis, and downhill skiing.
In the ACL reconstruction process, the torn ligament is detached and substituted with a piece of muscle from another part of your knee or from a dead donor. In order to do this, an orthopaedic surgeon (doctor who specializes in surgical procedures of the bones and joints) will make small incisions around the knee. After these incisions are made, the orthopedic surgeon then replaces the damaged ACL.
Most ACL injuries happen in sports due to:
- Stopping suddenly
- Pivoting with your foot firmly planted
- Suddenly slowing down and changing direction (cutting)
- Receiving a direct blow to the knee
- Landing from a jump incorrectly
ACL reconstruction is generally suggested if:
- If you want to pursue your sport professionally or are a professional athlete
- The injury is causing your knee to lock during everyday activities
- More than one ligament in your knees is injured
- You’re young and active
Follow the R.I.C.E. model of self-care at home, after the surgery:
- Rest: Rest is crucial for a good recovery
- Ice: Keep the ice every hour for at least 20 minutes
- Compression: Keep an elastic bandage or compression wrap on your knee
- Elevation: Support your knees with pillows.
Regular physical therapy after an ACL surgery helps to reinforce the muscles around your knee and improve elasticity. A physical therapist will teach you exercises that will help you start walking in no time.
Successful ACL reconstruction combined with consistent rehabilitation can usually reinstate the strength and function of your knee. After a few weeks post surgery if you follow up with a physiotherapist you will get back on track in no-time!
For more information about ACL Reconstruction Call us now or Book Online at PhysioExperts!